4 Key Asphalt Maintenance Tips
Knowing how to maintain and care for your asphalt can ensure durability, longevity, and quality. Look at these tips for basic solutions to common asphalt problems. Without regular asphalt maintenance, water, sun, and traffic cause asphalt to erode. Although a solid foundation, quality asphalt mix, and professional installation can increase the lifespan of your pavement, it still needs regular attention and care.
What causes asphalt to erode?
- Sun drying, or oxidation
- Heavy traffic
Steps to Preventing Asphalt Deterioration
- Adjusts local issues
- When surface has weakened (i.e. potholes), patching is typically sufficient. To get the best results for road smoothness or drainage, we recommend surface milling.
- When the base (foundation) has weakened, stress cracks often show up. To ensure best results, the pavement should be taken away, the foundation looked at for thorough soundness, and then the surface replaced completely.
- Helps with water penetration and sun drying (oxidation)
- Clinches the pavement to disable water penetration from foundation
- Due to seasonal change, asphalt enlarges and shrinks and thermal cracking can happen
- Cracksealing is a sealant that goes on after corners and edges are routed for optimum hold
- Asphalt emulsion sealcoats are a cost effective way to preserve and darken the surface of your pavement providing a cleaner, newer look. Yet, emulsion sealcoats are less durable and require more frequent applications.
- The chipsealing is best for industrial properties and roadway pavements. This process uses a layer of asphalt emulsion emulsion covered by aggregates to form a new surface. Additionally, for commercial properties, an asphalt emulsion sealcoat can be used over the top of the chipseal.
- Helps fight against oxidation and water penetration with a strengthened, durable, smooth surface
- Includes a new layer of asphalt, typically 1.5 to 2.5 inches thick over the existing road or parking lot
- Goes beyond sealcoating, with additional strength, curb appeal, drainage, and smoothness
- It is best to repair existing damaged areas prior to overlays because old damages will resurface even with the new overlay.
Contact Us Today
Bituminous Roadways can help recommend the best maintenance method for your road or property. We have been in business since 1946 and provide superior paving for parking lots, trails, apartment complexes, and roadways. You’ll benefit from our dedication to quality products and fair pricing. Call us today for paving maintenance in the Minneapolis and St. Paul areas at 651-686-7001.
Comments are closed for this post, but if you have spotted an error or have additional info that you think should be in this post, feel free to contact us.