Asphalt is a dark and heavy mineral substance that is a mixture of hydrocarbons, also referred to as bitumens. It is a durable, material that resists both harsh chemicals and extreme weather as well as other outside elements. Bituminous Roadways utilizes asphalt for a wide array of applications, but it’s most common use is for laying down road surfaces.
Asphalt is commercially produced by forming an aggregate of rock and gravel. This combination creates a solid surface that can handle the weight of massive objects or transports. This is why it is ideal for paving roads, parking lots, runways, or other large-scale projects where smooth flats surfaces are required.
In order for our contractors to pave asphalt for road use, it has to be mixed with cement, sand, and crushed rock and then heated so that it turns into a fine liquid. We then shape the steaming liquid into a specific design. Once poured on the ground, the hot surface is then raked (or leveled) and then compressed by a steamroller. The result is a rock-solid layer that can withstand daily activity for items such as tennis courts, playgrounds, or even buildings.
What are the Benefits of Mixing Asphalt?
There are many reasons why we prefer asphalt to other types of surface materials:
● Safe. Asphalt surfaces are perfect for driving on because they provide a safe, smooth surface for vehicles traveling at higher speeds. Asphalt reduces splashing and spraying during precipitation, thus, reducing collisions on the highway.
● Low-cost. When compared to other types of hard surfaces, asphalt is far more cost-effective. It lasts longer and requires less maintenance. Smoother roads also reduce the wear and tear on vehicles. Therefore, they save car owners money on maintenance.
● Eco-Friendly. Asphalt is a recyclable product. In the United States, the asphalt industry recovers almost 100 million tons of asphalt pavement annually for reuse in other areas. This saves taxpayers nearly $2 billion per year in road costs.
● Durable. With normal daily use and ongoing maintenance, asphalt can last 15-20 years depending on the type of mixture that is used.
● Flexibility. Asphalt can be used for a wide range of projects. In addition to roads and parking lots, it’s also used for roofing material, ramps, cycle paths, and even on bridges. It’s also the perfect solution for areas where freezing is a problem.
Bituminous Roadways Can Help You with Your Next Project
When deciding to launch your project, Bituminous Roadways can help you every step of the way from layout design to finishing and detailing the asphalt surface. Our Minnesota-certified contractors have the training and skill necessary to perform all jobs large and small!
If you are looking for asphalt installation, repair, or surface replacement, then contact Bituminous Roadways. We provide a wide range of services and products for home and business owners in Mendota Heights, Minnesota as well as the surrounding the Twin Cities Metro area. Call us today at 651-686-7001 for a free estimate!